Thursday, May 27, 2010

Lost. Here be spoilers.

Hi, my names is Yasmina and I'm addicted to Lost. I went to watch the finale at a downtown indie theatre. I have the Lost videogame and Lost boardgame. I have 3/6 seasons on DVD and bluray. I've read boards, watched clips, listened to commentaries, downloaded podcasts, and found wallpapers. And I can't believe it's over.


People may think I'm stupid/insane/nutty, but Lost has been a pretty significant part of my past 6 years...I started watching in 7th grade because of Dominic Monaghan. I continued because of the amazing story, intricate plotlines, and plain bizarre quality. It turned from a show about stranded passengers on an island to a show of mythic proportions, incorporating philosophy, allegory, allusions from books of all kinds, and amazing storytelling as well as awesome music by Michael Giacchino (winner of an Oscar for his work with Up!) It's just a story about good and evil, temptation, and redemption. I don't mind the spirituality of the last episode...it fit. Locke was a man of faith, and Jack was a man of science...he was alone, and he only trusted himself. It took 3 years for him to realize his true purpose. Maybe Lost was a character study, but that's okay. Characters on the show didn't have clearcut qualities...nobody was truly good or evil, everyone made mistakes, even the protector, Hurley. Benjamin Linus, who started out as the "villain" ended up being an integral part of the equation to save the island. The Man in Black may have been "evil" but he had legitimate reasons for wanting to leave...he had a history, and a family. Lost didn't just show one side of the picture.
Sure, we still don't know why the heck that statue is there, WHAT the island was, what happened to the Ajira plane, or anything...but in the end, I don't think it really mattered.
Basically, I love...loved Lost. And I'm going to miss it SO much.

No comments: