Saturday, May 7, 2011

Ultimate Dream

The day began before the crack of dawn at 5 a.m while i speedily put in my contacts to avoid being in the bathroom as a sick floormate was about to barf. I have a problem with barfing.
After this not-so-pleasant beginning to the day, I rushed over to Val and we promptly left for regionals, me driving a van of 6 sleeping ultimate frisbee playing college students 2 hours through Vermont to Dartmouth in New Hampshire.
Our first game with Harvard was not so good. We tied...almost very point. We tired them out eventually and got the lead for a point or two, but then they came back in the end and we lost 14-12. We shook it off, did our song-cheer for them, and went off to play Tufts.
Tufts is incredibly good. Their girls are super fast, they have great throws, and they know how to score...a lot. We went 15-2...they crushed us. But the record against Tufts was a measly 3 points so...no hard feelings.
Our third game was more frustrating-Boston University had just played a tiring game against Harvard but they came out strong. We were behind for a few points, and then came super close (only 2 points away)-however in the end BU pulled it out. However, during the second half we had really pumped up ourselves and our older teammates were playing with enthusiasm and guts. We may have lost point-wise, but we won in spirit.
My favorite part wasn't watching awesome layouts or great point blocks. My favorite part was hearing the seniors talk about why they would miss ultimate. It made me think about cherishing my time here, and my time playing ultimate. I'm going to miss the seniors, and our coach who's leaving...
However, laughing over garlic knot pizza and choosing choice music on the carride home was great fun. I'm excited for the very last frisbee event which is tomorrow...but I'm still a bit sad about the seniors.
Anyways,
I've come such a long way this year. At the beginning of the year, my throws were horrible, my cuts were disgusting and I couldn't even understand the rules. Now I'm cheering from the sideline, throwing hammers, and cutting deep, and sometimes even scoring and laying out. I'm so glad I stuck with ultimate, and I'm so so so excited for the next three years here.

No comments: