Saturday, June 11, 2011

Chilling in Ningbo


So I'm sitting in the Zeal Education Group office in Ningbo, Zhejiang Province, China. Basically, Zeal is a company that helps Chinese high school students apply to American colleges and universities. This is a booming business in China, a country where (from what i've gathered) high school students focus on testing and analytical essay writing, so when the time comes to write personal statements or narrative essays for college applications, they're pretty lost.
It was great talking to Chinese students about the differences in Chinese and American education. One girl told me she started learning math in 1st grade. There were no breaks and students were punished for answering questions wrong. Compare this to America where I had recess until 7th grade (well, it was basically a 15 minute break but still) and where math was never the focus of my education and was rather the bane of my existence. Different, right?
Not to mention, a lot of Chinese teaching revolves around dictation and reciting facts or poems or essays. America likes to discuss things (for the most part) and have seminars and the like.
These differences interest me quite a bit.
I also enjoyed answering student's questions about American colleges and universities....a lot of them are worrying about SATs already. One parent asked me what it took to get into Amherst. I couldn't just say "Get a 2400" because that's not what it takes. I believe Amherst cares about grades, but they care more about the actual student. What does the student love? Does show what he loves through the essay?
Not to mention her daughter, who is a sophomore, had a 2100 or something ALREADY. Wow.
Look up "tiger mother" on Google for an interesting article...

tests and dictation vs. discussion, success vs. acceptance of lower standards...
Oh, and I explained SATs and SAT subject tests (in Chinese) to a room full of parents and students. ACK! Pinyin saved my life.
I apologize if I cursed anyone out by accident with my horrible American tones.



Pokemon Ice Cream. It exists.
P.S Happy Graduation, Tabor-ites. Enjoy!

No comments: