Thursday, February 3, 2011

Nostalgia

I was looking back on my old blog posts, and saw a line that amused me about my first day at Amherst (during orientation): "The air here smells like education." I was probably drunk on excitement at the moment. However, my first few moments at Amherst were memorable; I remember the hot weather, the peace demonstrators in town, the crowds of freshmen students wandering around with their parents, and the green quad filled with cars. I was nervous about my roommate, and classes, and money, and making friends. It was the most awkward and amazing week of my life. I learned so much, went camping for the first time, and learned how to live with another person. Everything felt new and different, I was adapting to life "up north" and I was still excited about the Ice Cream and fro yo at Val. That was a good feeling, and I'm sad I've lost it as work started up and things got more stressful. However, I'm glad I met so many new people who I would never have associated before. I'm planning great things, and doing new activities, and learning everyday. The air DID smell like education, and possibility, and a new beginning. Now it smells a bit more like soy sauce and snow mush, but that's alright. I'm remember why I love Amherst so much and how grateful I am to be here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That was downright poetic.
<3