Sunday, February 6, 2011

Photography, art?

People wonder if photography is art. If I take a machine, without knowing anything about aperture, iso, shutter speed and the like, and then take a picture which is accidentally aesthetically pleasing, did I make art?

Some people believe art requires some sort of effort on the part of the artist.
Today I learn how much effort it entails.
Developing film is a long process. It begins with putting film on a reel by opening the canister and turning a reel while keeping the film steady, trying not to twist the film, and cutting the end of the film off.
In the dark.
This was easily one of the hardest things I've ever had to do-my sense of sigh was completely gone, and I had to rely on touch and sound to get the film on the reel. I failed-parts of my film were undeveloped-but I'm still glad I got SOME film developed.
The rest of the process required developer, stop bath (to stop development), fixer, and fix remover. These processes were timed and agitation (shaking the canister of film with the reels to make sure all the film gets the liquid) was only at very specific times. Measurements were incredibly important. It was hard, but rewarding.

When I removed my now purple film from the reels, I was amazed to see my photos in negative form. I then dried and cut the film into 5 squares each. Although some/most of it is marred by not being developed, I'm still proud.

And so, I think that's quite a bit of effort...so it must count as art.

On the menu for this week:
Finish last photo assignment/process film
BLST book (no reading form gasp yes)
Geo readings and mineral quiz thing/lab
French readings

No comments: