Sunday, August 29, 2010

COLLEGE!

After 13 hours of traveling, a minor crisis concerning hotels, and waking up really early, I finally got to my destination: AMHERST.
First of all, the town is absolutely wonderful. It's a college town (voted best in America last year) and there were people holding up signs that said "peace" and "anti-nuclear...something" and it was just beautiful. I know this is common here but I was like OH MY GOD THIS IS AMAZING.
My dorm room is very very nice. It's a corner room, and we have lots of storage and space under our beds. I put up my books (Harry Potter 4, Mockinjay, Will Grayson Will Grayson, The Golden Compass, two student dictionaries and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close), and pictures, and al sorts of randomness that comes with dorms. My roommate IS A HARRY POTTER FAN AND HAS HERMIONE'S WAND and is a HEAVY SLEEPER and is MESSY. These are good things. I am messy, and I think it's good that we're together because we can be like "oh hey, we're getting out of control" and it won't be weird to have a really neat side and a really messy side.
or maybe it's just a recipe for chaos.
regardless i am sooo happy.
my floormmates and i went downtown, to "bond" i suppose. downtown is like one street. It's really neat. that rhymed.
they're really nice people, from all over. well, mostly new york or massachusetts. there's a guy from virginia (the south! that is rare here) and another guy from florida. a few girls from new york are really into harry potter which makes me happy--->midnight release, for sure

it's been slightly odd. i'm a listener, not a talker, so most of the time i'm observing. but here i have to get into conversations, and meet people and such, and it's not something i'm used to but it's something i'm going to have to get used to.

by the way, the air here smells of education and learning and amazingness. i'm probably imagining this but it's sooo great.

i'm leaving in an hour to go to the campus center thing, there will be laser tag. tomorrow is advising. the next day is my canoeing and camping trip.

oh man.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

SOUNDS AMAZING ZOMG!
I'm glad you love it!
AND YAYYY NERDS! Take loads of pics?
Sounds like your kind of place, Yos :)
<3
Though I miss you. I hope there are great bagels! :D
Also, expect me to text you randomly.
-Aly