Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Back so soon!

Since many of my last blogs haven't had any focus whatsoever, I'm going to discuss the whole "adding people on facebook before meeting them in person at college" phenomenon. My roommate is sleeping (but is a heavy sleeper, thank god!) so I have to make it brief.

Before coming here, I added maybe 60 people because I was so pumped to meet everyone. There were a couple of people who really went out of their way to talk to people like everyday just on facebook. It was a good way to pre-socialize. What's weird is when you walk around and meet people, forget you added them on facebook, and they're like "oh yeah i recognize you from facebook". It kinda creeps me out even though usually i'm the one adding everyone.

It's also interesting to compare people on the internet and in real life, because we only see some facets of people online so you can't form a real idea of their personality. You don't know their height, or if they're quiet or outgoing, and other things which really affect how you interact with them.

It's easy to tell who is playing football on campus and whatnot, and it's easy to jump to conclusions. From perusing this guy's facebook (he's in one of my classes and in my squad) I saw that he was a football player and he didn't seem like someone i'd ever socialize with, but it turns out we've both lived in Cape Town and he's actually a cool person; snap judgments are not a good thing.

Well that's just my weird blog entry, I'm gonna go canoe tomorrow and then camp and hike the next day...bye!

No comments: